Boat insurance in Salem OH covers owners in the event of a loss or damage to their boat. It includes most watercraft that have motors, such as fishing boats, pontoon boats, paddle boats, leisure crafts and yachts. Boat insurance typically doesn’t cover canoes, kayaks or personal watercrafts.
For smaller watercraft, you may find some very restricted coverage under your homeowner’s policy.
What Does Boat Insurance in Salem OH Cover?
Your boat insurance policy may include the following:
- Collision damage: Includes repair or replacement of your boat;
- Property damage liability: Covers damage you may cause to someone else’s boat, a dock, or other property or structures;
- Bodily injury liability: Covers injury you might cause another person while using your boat;
- Comprehensive: Provides reimbursement if your boat is vandalized, stolen, or damaged in an incident other than a collision;
- Additional coverage options: These may include coverage for medical payments, fishing equipment, oil spills, personal property and roadside assistance, as well as damages and injuries from accidents caused by boaters who are uninsured or underinsured.
The amount of compensation you receive will depend on a few things, including your deductibles, limits and whether your boater’s insurance covers your boat’s actual cash value, replacement cost or agreed-upon value.
How Does Boat Insurance Work?
When you purchase boat insurance, you must decide on the amount of coverage you need for your boat, the deductible, and the kinds of coverage you need. In the event that you have an accident, experience a theft, or have another loss that is covered under your policy, you can file a claim and receive a payment covering the loss.
Does Boat Insurance in Salem OH Cover Passengers?
In the event of an accident, boat insurance covers passengers as well as the owner. Passengers on the boat are covered under the liability portion of the boater’s policy. However, depending on the policy, this may or may not extend to water skiers you are pulling behind the boat. Be sure to work with a knowledgeable professional who can help evaluate your needs and risks.
Does Boat Insurance in Salem OH Cover Theft?
Comprehensive boat insurance covers the theft of the boat itself. Personal possessions carried on the boat may or may not be covered, depending on the policy.
Does Boat Insurance Cover Engine Damage?
Boat insurance sometimes covers engine damage – this varies from company to company and by policy. Some insurance companies have “machinery damage exclusions” while others do not; it often depends on the age of the motor.
Does Boat Insurance in Salem OH Cover Me if I Hit a Rock?
If you have comprehensive insurance or property damage coverage included in your policy, your boat insurance will cover collision with rocks, logs, and other marine obstructions.
Does Boat Insurance Cover a Blown Engine?
Boat insurance covers a blown engine under some circumstances. Many policies will cover a blown engine when the cause is a manufacturer’s defect, but not if is due to normal wear and tear.
If you have questions or are interested in learning more about boat insurance in Salem OH, call our office today at 330-337-9557 and one of our helpful agents will be happy to assist you.